Monday, April 28, 2008

Starting the work

Today I have started to work on my SWIG's Python 3.0 support project. Since some work already done when preparing the proposal, I'd like to write a summarization here.

The works have been done:
  • Getting familiar with SWIG's code base.
  • Getting familiar with GNU automake, which SWIG used as build system.
  • Modified the typemap, .swg, and etc code, so my SWIG can generate "Hello, world" level Python 3 wrapper now.
  • A detailed time table has been written.
  • Added checking for Python 3 configuration in configure.in (done today)
And the problems encountered right now:
  • How to get rid of unbound method removal in Python 3? A mail posted to python-3000 mail list, waiting for replay.
  • How to write makefile script so when we type "make check-python3-test-suite", it can run 2to3 automatically to convert *_runme.py codes to Python 3, then do the test.
  • And I think I need a svn branch now.
Ok, too late and I'm feeling sleepy. I'll off to bed now. Good dream.

No comments: